Thursday, November 6, 2008

36 Weeks and Counting


The picture above is an ultrasound showing that she has hair. If you can see the skull, the light/white areas around it are hair. She definitely has more than peach fuzz they say. We'll see what color soon!

We had another BPP (Bi-lateral physical profile) today. This is the ultrasound that measures her well being. They were actually training a USI student today, so I got to learn a lot about reading ultrasounds and the BPP and what it's purpose is.

BPP measures three things in an ultrasound; amniotic fluid, tone/movement, and breathing. When measuring the tone they look for a good strong movement whether it by a kick, finger flick, or squirm, and it has to be within 30 minutes of the beginning of the ultrasound. If the baby has a good tone this means her movement is great. Basically, an infant in distress would not be able to move much, let alone give a good tone. So whenever I feel her moving inside me this means she is doing great.

Today she passed her BPP again. Fluids were down but still with in the normal range. I have lost a little weight and my blood pressure has dropped a little but these are of no concern. It could be due to swelling that has gone down and/or improper measures. Also, baby has now turned and is in proper position meaning she is no longer breeched. Yeah! I am currently 1 cm dilated which according to the Dr. is normal and a good starting point for 36 weeks.

As mentioned in previous posts, IUGR babies tend to be delivered by Cesarean and/or early. I asked about this today and the Dr. is planning on NOT inducing labor. As the facts stand currently we are shooting for the same due date and a normal delivery.

It is getting closer with each passing day and I am getting really nervous about the whole labor process but I know I will be fine. Thanks again to everyone for all of your prayers and support!

2 comments:

Nancy Cornwell said...

Glad to hear the good news! Call if you need to talk or have any questions about labor or anything else. Love ya girl@

Anonymous said...

I have been checking your blog every week for updates I was getting nervous at first but I am glad to hear everythings going to be ok can't wait to see her. Take care of yourself and baby your almost there. Crystal,Mark&Breezy